Monday 17 September 2007

Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and yoga practice


Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are the "Holy Trinity" of Hindu mythology.

Brahma is the Creator, who brought the whole universe into being; the impetus for all life.

Vishnu is the Sustainer, the provider of all we need to grow and evolve in the physical universe. Without him life could not exist.

Shiva is the transformer or destroyer, responsible for the changes of everything, breaking down the old to allow it to be reborn. The concept of Shiva is sometimes feared because he is associated with death, but without the transformation, new life could not occur.

These three aspects of life can be brought into yoga practice - and thus into our life off the mat - by remembering that every one of us, and everything around us, is born, will live and will die. When I first come into a yoga pose, I am creating it, finding my alignment and my breath, by breathing into the pose rather than resisting it I can open myself to the pose and the aspect of Brahma.Then I must sustain the pose, quieting the mind and surrendering into it. By experiencing Vishnu sustaining the posture, I can move more deeply into it. Finally, I release the pose. Rather than just stop doing it, I must come out of it mindfully using the breath. By remembering Shiva when exiting the pose I can transform the pose ready for the next one.

These concepts can change the perspective of yoga practice for the scoliosis sufferer. Some postures are difficult, alignment proves hard, modifications, adjustments and props are essential, but by using the archetypes of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva on the mat, I become away of the essence of the posture rather than the posture itself. As mentioned in an earlier entry the move is away from any sort of hierarchy of pose, how "well" the pose can be performed, towards examining the more subtle aspects of the pose and how I feel in the pose, thus deepening its effects without forcing myself into something that could have contraindications for me. I can work on a more subtle energetic level.

Particularly important is the aspect of Shiva. How we come out of a pose is as important as how we go into it and maintain it. Desikachar uses the story of the monkey who climbed the tree but couldn't get down again. Don't go up if you don't know how to get down. Attaining full posture is never as important as maintaining and coming out of the posture with the same strenth, stability and gentleness.

Away from the mat, these three aspects can then be applied to life, by everyone, not just the yogi. By balancing the three aspects within ourselves we can live a more balanced life. It's not easy because each aspect brings with it fear. We must learn not to fear the new territories and experiences that Brahma's creation brings, we must learn to trust in the abundace of Vishnu's sustenance, letting go of worries about safety, security, finances and love and trusting that there is enough of everything to go around, and we must move away from our fear of death, not just of ourselves or our loved ones, but of the various stages in our lives.