Tuesday 10 February 2009

Living for Today

"Stop my feet in their daily tracks so that I might not miss today in some vague hope of tomorrow"

I read this line in a book of daily Celtic prayers that I have.

This line, to me, sums up everything that yoga is about.

It is part of the human condition somehow to always be leaping ahead or behind. Living in the future or the past. Filling our lives with "if onlys". "If only I hadn't done this.... then I would be happy". "If only I had this.... then I would be happy."

There is nothing wrong with planning your tomorrows; with having a goal to work towards. There is nothing wrong with learning from the mistakes of the past. But all we really have is this moment, right now. How we feel, how we breathe, how we are right now is what we should be concentrating on. Contentment in every breath.

Yoga is about being in the moment, embracing this moment - regardless of the pain you may be in, or the treatment you may be waiting for. Yoga is right here, right now. And so should you be.

It's not easy, our minds wander onto happier thoughts, places we would rather be, thing we would rather be doing.

Take some time each day to check your thoughts, and when they wander into some vague plan of the future bring your attention back to the rhythm of your breath, that physical manifestation of your here and now, and enjoy that breath, that moment for what it is. Right now.

Namaste!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just desire to say your article is as amazing. The clearness
in your post is just excellent and i could suppose you're a professional in this subject. Well along with your permission let me to take hold of your feed to stay up to date with drawing close post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please continue the gratifying work.

Also visit my homepage liver pain webmd